“The sign of great parenting is not the child’s behavior. The sign of truly great parenting is the parent’s behavior.” — Andy Smithson
The past holds vital information for the direction of life in all aspects. Children mentally absorb their surroundings and the behavior of parents to use this information later to survive in adulthood. Our relationship, money, and perspective are all influenced by our upbringing. Being brought up in an emotionally neglectful or abusive environment has great hinderances that usually go undetected.
I always tell people, if you want to evolve emotionally is important to understand the current state of your emotional world.
Facing the past and coming to terms with how it has impacted your current life can change your current circumstances, drastically.
These are the common way’s being raised by an emotionally neglectful parent can impact your life and emotions.
“There is no school equal to a decent home and no teacher equal to a virtuous parent.” — Mahatma Gandhi
- A feeling closely related to disloyalty when desiring to be different or surpassing parents in life. Neglectful or emotionally abusive parents use guilt to control their children.
This guilt can find it’s way into adult life and still hold someone back from reaching farther, the fear of success.
- Low self-belief is one of the most common emotional scars of having an emotionally abusive or neglectful parent.
- Chronic self-criticizing thought’s and need for validation
- Difficulty in making life decisions due to the fear of being wrong.
- Inability to express self and emotions. Most children who were neglected or emotionally manipulated as a child grow into adults that believe their feelings do not matter.
- Paralyzing fear of failure sometimes to the point that winning becomes the only thing that matters.
These signs are more common than not in our generation. Anxiety and depression rates have been on the rise since 2012; however, there is always hope. By understanding how pain plays a part in your daily experience, this awareness brings a chance to heal and grow.