“There is no passion to be found in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living” — Nelson Mandela
“It is your decisions, not your conditions, that truly shape the quality of your life.” — Anthony Robbins
I believe Anthony Robbins sums up perfectly what shapes the quality of life; the decisions we make on a day to day basis either hinder or contribute to growth.
However, there are two concepts that have great influence on these decisions. The level of self understanding and amount of time spent doing what you love.
1. Know Thyself
It was 11 pm when my sister called me distressed and wept about a dead relationship. She’s emotionally exhausted from giving others the benefit of the doubt, loving beyond her wits, and giving people more chances than they deserve. My sister’s emotional term oil greatly influences her quality of life and resembles several other’s who become drained in their dealings with other people.
When an individual hasn’t taken the time to understand their energy, triggers, and boundaries, it’s common for someone not to see where he/she ends and the other person begins. Becoming entangled and dramatically influenced by another’s actions and words; continuously damaging overall quality of life.
- Understand your values and beliefs to assure you are living authentically.
- Consider the impact you want to make in other peoples lives and the impact you want others to return to your life.
- Gain a more focused approach to relationships. Your time and energy are valuable don’t “misuse” it on people who have nothing to contribute.
- Make an effort to learn and grow within yourself; learn a new skill, pick up a new habit, and start developing your current knowledge by reading.
- Connect with like-minded people. Finding your tribe offers encouragement and inspiration.
— Always be authentic to you.
2. How Much Time Is Spent Doing What You Love
A determining factor in a fulfilled life is how much time is spent doing what you love. There is a continuous supply of emotional satisfaction when one puts energy into a passion; it inevitably leads to a purpose.
“Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you” — Oprah Winfrey
- Find what makes you unique, expand on it and bring it forth into the world. It’s surprising how many people you inspire just by being yourself and living through authenticity.
- Kill the doubt and fear. Many times people don’t make the first jump because they think “someone else already came up with it” or “someone else can execute this better than me.” We are all here with skills, talents, and purpose that possess limitless potential.
- You only get better with practice. When I first started writing it was close to garbage, I’m just getting my feet wet and fully aware I’ve haven’t reached my best material. However, not writing and waiting until I feel “ready” is more uncomfortable than putting myself out there and learning through my mistakes.
- Cultivate the confidence to put energy into what you love. Do whatever you need to do to feel confident within yourself. If that’s losing weight, then go to the gym and eat better. If that’s leaving toxic friendships and relationships then do so immediately. Confidence won’t find you; you have to find it within yourself.
Remember, no one knows what they are doing in life. No one is born with a map and specific instructions on how to work this thing.
All we have is time and each other to look forward to, and that’s all we need to be exceptional. The greatest battle is within, and it’s about allowing yourself to be yourself.
Whatever hold ups or blockages standing in your way of being who uniquely are it’s important to start chipping away at it now so you can begin living.